Friday 4 July 2014

WW2 Armour part 4. PANZER GREY

 

There is quite a bit of discussion on the forums regarding what colour to use for painting Panzer Grey. From what I can gather, if you want to go for accuracy then you should be painting your vehicles very dark, almost black but some modellers have gone with a lighter colour to compensate for the smaller scale of a model. With 28mm you can probably get away with either option looking okay but when you start getting into the smaller scales, an almost black colour vehicle is going to be looking a little bland.
I have opted for the less accurate but more visual look of the lighter blue/grey using Vallejo German Grey (995) then highlighted using a white mixed in with the colour.

I painted a test piece on a Lledo die cast vehicle, which was still a little dark but usable for my early war or even WW1 collections.
      

The rest of the vehicles are from Warlord and looking from left to right we have an Opel Blitz Truck, a Panzer 1a, Panzer 35(t) and a Panzer IV AUSF.D which I will be using to support my early and mid war collections.




The resin on the Opel Blitz was warped so Warlord sent me a replacement which had both options of open and a covered top, so I painted both.





And to finish with the usual action/staged shots.












 

17 comments:

  1. So many details on these pictures and vehicles! Excellent work, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks right to me....very effective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning work as usual Pat! Love the action shots too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I have to confess that I'm not a connoisseur of such things, but they looked damned impressive to me - now where's a PIAT when you need one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice the colour you have chosen for the vehicles. Personally, I prefer this lighter tone, and this one can take in acount the dust.
    Really nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! beautiful pictures of great miniatures ~ I also, prefer a lighter tone for 'Panzer Grey'. Cheers for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work Pat. Personally I think the lighter grey looks better. Period colour photos always seem to make the 'panzer grey' look more like a blue grey, at least to me! I guess due to sun bleaching, dust etc. But you could have painted them pink and they would be fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing work Pat! You pay so much attention to all these little details. I think you choose the absolutely right colour for your Panzergrau.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work Pat !!!

    Seems like so many good painters have started 28mm ww2 projects, so hard to recist, having a problem to find a good swedish angle, but with your Greate early war vehicles and tanks a 9th april 1940 project would be close enought Sweden ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm no expert on armor colors - but the results here are fantastic. They all look great and the panzer commander is superbly detailed. Although I like late-war camo, early grey is also very nice and what I associate German armor with immediately. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look absolutely superb Pat! I love the colour you decided to use on your German armour and the weathering is great as always!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. Painting and posing are fabulous. It's like I've gotten a peek though the lens of history, in color no less!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all your positive feedback chaps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant Pat! WWII is not really my thing, but credit where credit is due, the entire scenes are just amazing.

    Frank
    http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic vehicles and tanks Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Smart work as always Pat. I think the colour looks right to me and the weathering is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.